Friday, October 9, 2015

Introducing "Still Waters"!

Over a year in the dreaming, making, and birthing, "Still Waters" (formally known as PULSE) is a department of Therapy Works Austin.  The name isn't the only thing that has changed, but we'll get to that later.

The name "Still Waters" has become a core belief and message for me over the past year... it's meaning so close to my heart it's like breathing to me... it's now a part of me. I live from this place personally, as I weather my own storms; I give from this place as I strive to help each and every woman who comes to me for support.

Almost two years ago, I wrote a blog post about storms (You can read it here.).  This is where I first began to form one of the many analogies I use as I work with Partners of Sex Addicts (or "Intimate Partner Betrayal Trauma" survivors).  I'm always searching for word pictures to describe things... as much as I LOVE words - their meaning and the power they can convey - sometimes words just can't be descriptive enough - you need to "see" it to "get" it - in all it's pain or glory.


Enter the analogy... - 

 Imagine yourself on the deck of a beautiful sailboat... 



when a hurricane hits.



You are tossed about; the sky is dark; you feel alone, scared, confused and don't know how to find safety. Physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually, you are worn down.

That's what it's like when we discover that the man we love - the one we gave our heart, body, and soul to - has betrayed us, intimately and sexually.  We feel alone, scared, confused and unsafe.  

This is where the power of "Still Waters" is fully realized.

While I'm not "preachy" about my faith - I am a woman of faith.  And from my personal faith and love of the Bible, a beautiful picture of safety, healing and hope found it's way into my very being...

I saw - oh so clearly - a picture of what Partners need: 


We desperately need the storm to be stilled; we need the wind and the waves to subside.  If nowhere else, at lease internally! 






Once we find some semblance of safety, we then need a place where we can find healing; a place we can learn, find direction, and become strong again.


I believe there is no better picture of the storm being stilled than what you find in Matthew 8:23-27; and of the safe place to heal than in the "Still Waters" and green pastures of Psalm 23.

The more I heard the cries of so many women, the more this need for Still Waters became the picture, and the name, of what I wanted to create.  And so, that's exactly what I've been doing - going about creating a place where women who've endured this storm (or are in it right now) can find a reprieve, and eventually, guidance, to a place of strength and growth. After a lot of time and hard work, I'm finally ready to introduce the world (okay, all 100 of you who may actually read this - lol!) to Still Waters!!!!

There's SO much to tell you about Still Waters!!!  Rather than go into it here, I invite you to please come check out the website I've been hard at work creating... the Still Waters website: www.stillwatersforpartners.org!  You can learn about our unique SCHOLARSHIP FUND; our mission and vision; the services we offer (including an upcoming Gaslighting retreat/workshop); our guiding principles, or even how you can get involved!

I look forward to seeing the vision of Still Waters come to pass, and how we may travel the journey together!   

Thoughts?  Questions?  Suggestions?  How can we, together, make Still Waters the most amazing place for Partners?





No comments:

Post a Comment